Sunday, June 3, 2012

Thinking ahead to Father's Day

You, Understood 
(for my father. 2007)
 
You gave me words as playthings,
taught me to read forward
and backwards: wax prolix,
longevity, gnibbur lohocla. But
you put no word to your illness.
 
You would not name it,
though you gave me names
for the sparrow and nuthatch
perched on the wooden
bird feeder you’d hung out
the second-story window.
We ate breakfast with chickadees.
You named me, your firstborn,
Lelo, Loi-San, Eloise, and sang
My little Louisa, you’re the one for me.
 
You gave me Thanksgiving
hymns, All good gifts around us,
when I climbed the high stool
in your workshop to watch
your deft fingers repair Mom's vase.
His yoke is easy and his burden
light, the entire Messiah
one Saturday on the Ford
wagon's radio. Beethoven's Ninth
shook our book-lined walls,
Joyful, joyful. And you hummed
Feelin' groovy with Simon,
Garfunkel, and me.
 
I could not think what song
to offer you in turn. Then
I’d do anything for you, Dad
and The Lord bless thee
and keep thee clamored together
through my taut throat,
while your fingers, long
bent with arthritis, cooled
in my hand.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lois... I so love this poem of yours. Beautiful and wistful and loving and painfully missing his presence. Hope to write with you again soon! Julie

    ReplyDelete